Architect, LATITUDINE 53 by MANASC ISAAC, Bucuresti, Romania
“MOSAIC CENTRE FOR A CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY AND COMMERCE”
The Mosaic Centre for Conscious Community and Commerce is more than an office building.
Located in the emerging Edmonton community of Summerside, the facility houses the Mosaic Family of Companies, a unique and progressive organization with a strong commitment to doing business better: “doing good while doing well,” as they put it.
Their headquarters exemplifies their commitment to doing good. Staff are provided with important amenities including a child-care facility, wellness centre, lounges, game room and even a restaurant.
The building raises the bar on the sustainability front, as well. In addition to targeting LEED® Platinum, we are aiming for this project to become the very first Living Building Challenge petal certified building in Alberta. Finally, Mosaic is also hoping to become the first net-zero commercial building in the province.
The Mosaic Family of Companies is a game-changer, and its corporate home is, too.
Alexandru Vasiliu graduated Ion Mincu University of Architecture in 2011 and began working in the field of social architecture in Romania while attending the anthropology masterate at SNSPA. Starting 2016, Alexandru is a phd. Candidate at Ion Mincu University in Bucharest.
In 2013 he starts working for Manasc Isaac Architects in the Edmonton and Galgary offices on projects such as the Mosaic Centre for a Conscious Community and Commerce, Flotek ULC., Myntex etc. Working and learning in an office that shares the same core values: an integrated approach, focused on sustainability and the design of engaging, dynamic environments and aquiring the knowledge to do so while being frugal with resources, Alecsandru returned to Romania where he, alongside Ana-Dora Matei, founded Latitudine 53 by Manasc Isaac. Since 2015 Alexandru is a licensed architect in Romania.
The first Romanian project – the interior design of their Bucharest office, which brought to life an old apartament in the centre of Bucharest using very few resources and exploring the spaces and textures offered by simple and cheap materials, won a nomination at the Bucharest Architecture Biennale in 2016. Since then the office is working on various projects in Romania and abroad using the same design philosophy.
AWARDS OF THE OFFICE
1. CONSULTING ENGINEERS OF ALBERTA SHOWCASE AWARD OF EXCELLENCE 2016 (FOR PCL BUILIDING ONE)
2. CANADIAN INSTITUTE OF STEEL CONSTRUCTION (CISC-ICCA) COLLABORATION AWARD AT THE 2015 ALBERTA STEEL DESIGN AWARDS (FOR MOSAIC CENTRE FOR A CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY & COMMERCE)
3. 2015 CANSIA GAME CHANGER AWARD – SOLAR PV PROJECT OF THE YEAR (FOR MOSAIC CENTRE FOR A CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY & COMMERCE)
4. ALBERTA CONSTRUCTION MAGAZINE TOP PROJECTS 2014 – SUSTAINABILITY AWARD (FOR MOSAIC CENTRE FOR A CONSCIOUS COMMUNITY & COMMERCE)
5. ALBERTA CONSTRUCTION MAGAZINE TOP PROJECTS AWARD, COMMERCIAL DESIGN CATEGORY (EASTGATE OFFICES FOR ENVIRONMENT CANADA)
6. PRAIRIE WOOD DESIGN AWARD, JURY’S CHOICE (FOR THE NET-ZERO-READY BEVERLY HEIGHTS HOUSE)